As we say goodbye to fall and start to welcome the snowy winter weather with slight reluctance, we have some tips for you to make this transition a little bit more pleasant. Don’t get us wrong, we will definitely miss the warmer weather, but there are also some great things to look forward to for winter!
The weather might leave you feeling cold and chilly, but there are ways you can change your food to help warm you from the inside out. Try adding these foods and spices into your diet to make this transition run a little more smoothly.
1. SPICE UP YOUR LIFE!
Use the power of spices to warm you from the inside out. Here are some of our favorite spices to add to your food:
- Cinnamon and nutmeg: Two very versatile spices that can be used to add flavour to your morning oatmeal, or (for a savoury meal), to your sweet potatoes in the evening.
- Cayenne: Cayenne can heat both you and your meal up. Be careful—cayenne can be very hot. Start off small and add more if desired.
- Ginger: Either fresh or powdered, ginger adds spice and flavour to any dish—sweet or savoury
2. DON’T SAY GOODBYE TO SMOOTHIES
Smoothies are a great way to incorporate fresh fruits and vegetables into your diet, and they don’t have to be only a summer time treat! Add warming spices and seasonal vegetables to rev up your taste buds and prepare you for the cold weather.
How to make a warming smoothie:
- Say adios to the ice: Ice can leave you feeling chilly and cold, so leave it out of your fall and winter smoothies.
- Add some cinnamon: Cinnamon is a warming spice and may help warm you from the inside out.
- Incorporate fall and winter foods: Pumpkin makes a great addition to a smoothie, pair that with some cinnamon and you’re in for a real treat. We also love the sweet minty goodness of this peppermint smoothie for the holidays:
1 cup almond milk
6 large fresh mint leaves
1 frozen banana
1 serving French Vanilla Vega One® All-in-One Nutritional Shake
Directions: Blend all ingredients together in blender and enjoy!
3.WARM FOOD IS LIKE A WARM BLANKET
There is something so comforting about a plate of warm food when it’s cold outside. Here are a few warming meals for fall:
- Chili: Chili actually makes you feel the opposite of what its name suggests. A bowl full of chili can be made with those warming spices listed above and leave you feeling cozy and comforted from the cold
- Soups: Soup is warming, comforting, and a great way to incorporate some of those amazing fall and winter veggies into your day.
- Pie: Can a dessert leave you feeling warm and cozy? Absolutely! There is nothing like a freshly baked apple pie out of the oven full of warming spices.
4. DON’T FORGET TO HYDRATE
You might feel less thirsty when it’s cold out, so drinking less water is a common mistake people tend to make as the seasons start to change. Hydration is always super important – especially if you work out.
- Room temperature water: It definitely doesn’t sound enticing to have an ice-cold glass of water when you’re already shivering from the temperature outdoors. Enjoy your water warm or room temperature to stay cozy.
- Herbal teas: It always feels nice to wrap your hands around a warm cup of tea, and herbal teas can be a delightful option.
- Festive seasonal drinks: Warm apple cider, chai tea, hot water with ginger or lemon, are all feel-good, warm you from the inside-out drinks.
Embrace the winter with open arms (and a blanket), and help yourself adapt to these winter months effortlessly.
Vega One® All-in-One Shake – Made from carefully selected, premium, plant-based food ingredients you’d choose yourself if you had the time, Vega One® has everything you want (and nothing you don’t)—all in one delicious scoop. Excellent source of antioxidant vitamin C & vitamin A which contributes to the normal function of the immune system. Whether you’re looking for an all-in-one nutritional powerhouse or an easy way to pack more protein into your day, Vega One® is the solution.