How to Wake Up Energized
If you’re looking to wake up energized and ready to take on the day, we have three easy tips for you to incorporate. Adding these into your routine will have people asking you what you’re doing to have so much energy in the morning and all you’ll have to say is, “I woke up like this”.
1. GOING TO BED EARLY
Getting enough quality sleep plays a huge role in your overall health and wellness and is key to waking up energized. How much you need will vary depending on your own body–you’ll know you’ve had enough when you wake up naturally refreshed. To decompress from the day and prepare for sleep, try to go tech-free 20 to 30 minutes before you go to sleep. This will allow your body time to relax and get ready for a good night’s sleep.
2. EAT BREAKFAST
Having a nutrient dense breakfast versus a processed, high-in-sugar breakfast can fuel your day and may also prevent craving short-term energy pick-me-ups like sweets or caffeine later in the day. One of our favorite ways to start the day is with a delicious, green smoothie or if you’re a coffee fan, try a coffee-based protein shake (see two tasty recipes below).
3. MORNING MEDITATION
Set the stage for the day by creating a pleasant morning routine. If you can start the day off calm and relaxed, it may be easier to stay in that frame of mind. On the other hand, if you wake up and have a frantic morning, you may find you have exhausted my energy before you even get to lunch. Try adding a short meditation into your morning routine. Start small by focusing on 10 deep breaths before you get out of bed and see where you can build on from there.
If we were going to pick just one tip for you to takeaway, it would be to try going to sleep 30 minutes earlier than you normally would every day for a week and see how you feel. It’s all cumulative, so you may not feel a change overnight, but stick to your routine and you’ll be up, energized and ready to take on the day in no time.
Green Start Smoothie
1 serving Vanilla Vega Protein & Greens
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 big handful mixed baby greens, such as baby kale, chard and spinach
1/3 cup tart green apple, cored and diced
1/3 cup diced pear
1/3 cup sliced cucumber
Juice of 1/2 lemon
6 to 8 ice cubes
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Adjust the consistency with a little more almond milk or ice if needed.
- Pour into a glass and serve.
Cold-Brew Coffee Protein Shake
1 cup coffee beans, coarsely ground
4 cups filtered water
Cold Brew + Protein Boost
8 oz cold brew concentrate
8 oz non-dairy milk
1 serving Chocolate Vega Protein & Energy
- Start with coarsely ground coffee beans.
- In a 6 cup (or larger) container, combine 1 cup of ground beans with 4 cups filtered water.
- Stir and place covered in your refrigerator overnight, or at least 12 hours.
- Line a standard strainer with a coffee filter. Working in small batches pour the coffee mixture through the filter. Discard the grounds (or save them for your garden!)
- Transfer strained coffee into an airtight pitcher – it should yield approximately 4 cups.
- Combine 8 ounces of cold brew concentrate with 8 ounces of non-dairy milk in a shaker cup or mason jar.
- Shake with Chocolate Vega Protein & Energy.
- Add ice and enjoy!