The Power of Digestive Enzymes
Digestive enzymes are like scissors that cut up the foods we eat into basic building blocks that our body then absorbs and reassembles to build cells, tissue, organs and glands. The human body uses more than 3,000 kinds of enzymes to initiate or speed up chemical reactions. Without enzymes, we could not exist. Our bodies’ reactions would be too slow for life to be possible.
In a perfect world, two sources of enzymes break down our foods. First, enzymes are naturally present especially in raw foods. Second, our body secretes digestive enzymes from various locations throughout the digestive tract (salivary glands, stomach, pancreas, and small intestine), which completes the work of digesting foods.
Our reality, however, is different. When we process our foods most enzymes are destroyed. Although, we can still absorb part of the nutrients, the digestive system has to work harder to break down some foods. This could eventually lead to digestive problems such as gas, bloating, pain, swelling, inflammation, food sensitivities and allergies. Our lifestyle, age and habits also affect the quantity of enzymes available in our bodies:
– Caffeine, alcohol, illness, pregnancy and stress all take their toll on our enzyme reserves
– Our bodies produce fewer enzymes as we age
– Today’s diets don’t contain as much enzyme containing raw foods as they once did
– Modern food processing techniques and cooking destroy nearly 100% of natural enzymes
– Raw foods may not contain as many enzymes as they should due to environmental factors and preservation techniques
All this puts a burden on the digestive system and can lead to incomplete digestion. Sustaining our enzyme levels helps to ensure an efficient digestive system, allowing nutrients to be readily absorbed for utilization by the body.
Beat the Bloat
– Eat foods which are locally grown because they are at their natural peak enzyme content
– Consume more fresh, organic fruits and vegetables/ eat less cooked food
– Choose a healthy lifestyle with proper sleep, regular exercise, adequate water intake, and good food choices
– Take supplemental digestive enzymes for additional support
Some of the most highly effective Digestive Enzyme formulas are made by Flora Manufacturing and Distributing Ltd, a local company in Burnaby, BC. Udo’s Choice® Digestive Enzymes are made with a blend of seven active plant-based enzymes chosen to assist the breakdown of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, soluble fibre, starch, milk sugar and complex sugars. Udo’s Choice® Digestive Enzymes provide a complete enzymes spectrum which is required for health and made for everybody.
The available nutrients can then be used to support the natural functioning of cells, tissue, glands, and organs and, as a result, support healthy cardiovascular, brain and nerve function, and much more. Udo’s Choice® Digestive Enzymes are also designed for anyone who: eats cooked or processed foods; suffers from weak digestion; wants a better digestion of what they eat; overeats; inadequately chews; is lactose intolerant; has problems digesting cruciferous vegetables and/or legumes; suffers from gas, bloating, and abdominal discomfort after eating.
Udo’s Choice® Digestive Enzymes can help beat that heavy, sluggish, after meal feeling. These carefully designed formulas aid the digestion of foods, leaving you free to enjoy your favourite meals again.