Everybody knows that eating a plant-based diet is good for you! The media is flooded with stories, studies, images and promises of the healthful benefits of fruits, vegetables, berries and superfoods. But that doesn’t mean everyone is getting enough. Busy lifestyles, processed convenience foods and the nutritional impact of modern industrial agricultural practices are all obstacles that get between us and the plant-based nutrition we need for every facet of our wellbeing.
So, what is it we’re missing out on, exactly? Phytonutrients! As of 2016, over 25,000 plant nutrients have been identified, unique compounds that provide health benefits throughout the whole body with their nourishing and protective properties. You can thank phytonutrients for the bright, vibrant colours we see in the rainbow of our favourite fruits, vegetables and superfoods!
Over 25 years ago, the formulation of greens+ was inspired by the remarkable benefits that came from a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and other plant foods. Grasses, fruits, vegetables, sea vegetables and amplifying superfoods work synergistically as a concentrated phytonutrient blend that makes it easy for anyone to get PLANT POWERED nutrition every day. Despite its name and trademark hue, greens+ contains a FULL spectrum of colourful plant nutrients, including such tongue-twisters as resveratrol, apigenin, luteolin, and quercetin.
In the time since greens+ came to be, its many benefits have been solidified by research studies, proving the potency of its phytonutrients, antioxidant activity and multiple beneficial effects.
- Energy & vitality – a double-blind, placebo- controlled trial involving over 100 human subjects investigated the effects of daily greens+ use over 3 months, indicating trends towards improved well-being and overall health.
- Protection against free radical damage – research at the University of Toronto found a significant increase in blood antioxidant capacity – providing broad capacity to human cells -after consuming greens+ for one month!
- Supporting a healthy brain and mood— phytonutrients have been shown to prevent the rapid breakdown of serotonin and other important mood-regulating brain chemicals.
- Alkalinity – in a recent clinical trial, greens+ was show to significantly influence urinary pH in just days, and taking greens+ for 14 days resulted in a two-fold difference in the alkalinity of the urine.
- Athletic performance – greens+ has been observed to improve the maximum capacity for of an individuals’ body to transport and use oxygen during physical activity.
- Bone health – greens+ has been proven to exhibit a positive influence on the activity of cells involved in bone cell formation – the osteoblasts.
- Gut Health
25 years, later, we are still learning more about the formula’s benefits! While probiotics have experienced a significant rise in popularity to promote gut health – for good reason – there is more to supporting the gut than simply seeding it with bacteria, there is also feeding the gut. Recent discoveries have determined that the phytonutrients that nourishes us, also nourish and help to grow our little bacterial friends. Think of your gut, and all of the microorganisms therein, as a garden. Like most typical gardens, yours thrives with a variety of symbiotic plants, that comes from a diet rich in plant-based foods.
Not only that – but the relationship between the microbiome and phytonutrients is a mutual love: the phytonutrients feed a healthy microbiome and you better absorb the nutrients with healthy flora! In fact, the bioavailability of dietary phytonutrients increases by 100% when diverse microbes are present.
Unfortunately, the Western diet has reduced our intake of phytonutrients, and it has taken its toll on our microbiome. Without these valuable polyphenols, our gut flora isn’t equipped with the nourishment it needs to metabolize valuable phytochemicals that support a healthy gut lining and robust microbial populations. Just one serving of greens+ every day can help ensure that you, and your billions of bacterial allies, are getting a potent blend of powerful phytonutrients.
So, how do you make sure your garden grows and your health glows? By including plenty of brightly coloured fresh plant foods that contain polyphenols – and the best way to ensure that you are getting enough polyphenols daily is to include a serving of greens+, the only green food supplement backed by 9 research studies.
Berardi JB, Logan AC, Rao V. Plant-based dietary supplement increases urinary pH. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 2008 Nov 6;5:20-7.
Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research 2004;65(2):66-71.
*Ozdal T, et al. The Reciprocal Interactions between Polyphenols and Gut Microbiota and Effects on Bioavailability. Nutrients. 2016 Feb 6;8(2):78
Rao, et al. Polyphenol extract of greens+ nutritional supplement stimulated bone formation in cultures of human osteoblast-like SaOS-2 cells. J Diet Suppl 2008;5(3); 264-282.
Rao V, et al. In vitro and in vivo antioxidant properties of the plant-based supplement greens+. Int J Mol Sci 2011;12:4896-908.