How does fermentation work?
Fermentation uses microbes to alter the chemistry of the food to make them less susceptible to damage. Friendly yeasts and bacteria begin the process of digesting the sugars within the foods, creating acids that prevent spoilage from non-probiotic microbes. These acids give fermented foods their characteristic tang and provide a number of benefits to our digestive system and immune health.
Botanica’s unique fermentation process produces bioavailable phytocompounds and maximize the potency of herbs, bringing you the therapeutic benefit of the plant in its most bioavailable form. The final product contains beneficial bacteria, B vitamins, and organic acids, which help support digestion and immunity.
What are the unique benefits of each fermented herb?
• Fermented Ashwagandha: promotes a healthy stress response
• Fermented Holy Basil: helps promote a healthy outlook
• Fermented Kombucha: improves digestion
• Fermented Milk Thistle: promotes healthy liver function
• Fermented Oregano: microbial for cold & flu support
• Fermented Turmeric Ginger: helps reduce inflammation
How are they made?
• All of the herbs used in our fermented Botanicals are certified organic. Each herb is harvested at its peak therapeutic activity.
• The herbs are tested for purity, including for contaminants such as herbicides, pesticides, molds, microbes, aflatoxins, and heavy metals.
• Each herb is first made into a tea, and combined with a unique SCOBY (a symbiotic culture of yeast and bacteria). Organic sugar is then added to begin the fermentation.
• The fermentation process takes several months, allowing the beneficial yeast and bacteria in the SCOBY to pre-digest and transform the full spectrum of plant nutrients. 100% of the sugar is consumed during this process, and the final product contains zero calories.
• The fermentation transforms the herbs into their most bioavailable forms, maximizing the absorbability of all the phytonutrients. During this process, additional antioxidants, B vitamins, enzymes, organic acids and probiotics are also created. Even those with weakened digestive systems can benefit from these bioavailable compounds.
• Once the process is complete, testing is performed to ensure the potency and purity of the final product. The Fermented Botanical is then bottled in dark amber glass jars, to protect the microorganisms from damage by light.
Immune-Boosting Sparkling Mocktail
This unique blend provides essential support for a healthy digestive tract while enhancing immunity. Drink daily and you’ll find increased energy.
1 cup (250 mL) pure apple cider
1 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
4 tsp (20 mL) Botanica Fermented Turmeric Ginger
1 tsp (5 mL) raw honey
Naturally carbonated water
Licorice sticks, for stirring
Apple slices and watermelon radish, for garnish
Directions: Combine apple cider, lemon juice, fermented turmeric ginger and honey in a glass jar. Shake vigorously to blend. Pour into two glasses filled with ice cubes and top up with carbonated water. Add licorice sticks for stirring. Garnish and serve.