The majority of Canadians over 55 years of age experience some degree of the painful joint disease osteoarthritis. For many, osteoarthritis means constant pain, impaired mobility and seriously reduced quality of life. Are there solutions for this suffering? Yes! Effective combinations of natural ingredients have received increased attention in recent years. Glucosamine Sulfate and Glucosamine HCL are extremely popular with osteoarthritis sufferers across Canada, who experience pain relief results without the damaging side-effects of drugs. Clinical studies show that Glucosamine outperforms the anti-inflammatories ibuprofen and acetaminophen for pain relief (see chart on page 2).1,2 Studies have also shown that Glucosamine Sulfate can actually regenerate new cartilage, helping re-establish the “cushion” between joints in the knees and hips.3
Other natural ingredients have been found to work well with Glucosamine compounds to reduce joint pain. Collagen – Type II has been studied for its anti-rheumatic properties. White Willow Bark is useful as a natural pain-relieving analgesic. The traditional Indian herb Boswellia, and Devil’s Claw, Yucca Root, Feverfew and Sarsaparilla are used worldwide for their anti-inflammatory properties. Bromelain is a source of protein-digesting enzyme activity that also assists in reducing inflammation.
While valuable on their own, natural ingredients in combination can make for even better joint pain relief. Ask your health professional about formulations containing a range of natural ingredients – and start enjoying life again!
Joints-First formulations work to reduce joint pain…
Joints-First Capsules Joints-First Liquid Ingredient Benefit
Glucosamine Sulfate Rebuilds cartilage Glucosamine Sulfate Rebuilds cartilage
Glucosamine HCL Rebuilds cartilage Glucosamine HCL Rebuilds cartilage
Boswellia Extract Anti-inflammatory
Collagen – Type II Rebuilds and repairs cartilage
White Willow Bark Pain relief MSM Anti-inflammatory
Yucca Root Powder Anti-inflammatory
Devil’s Claw Root Powder Anti-inflammatory
Cat’s Claw Anti-inflammatory, immune enhancement and pain relief
Sarsaparilla Anti-inflammatory; Sarsaparilla Anti-inflammatory; circulatory assistance circulatory assistance
Feverfew Leaf Powder Pain relief
Vitamin D Anti-inflammatory and pain relief
Bromelain Anti-inflammatory enzyme
– Proceed with Caution
Unfortunately, the same demographic of Canadians dealing with osteoarthritic conditions, tend to be the same group that ailing from circulatory conditions. A large percentage of this group is taking blood-thinning drugs to reduce their risk of a heart attack, as recommended by their physicians. Popular blood-thinners include aspirin, warafin and atovastatin.
While many natural supplements are effective in reducing the painful inflammation associated with osteoarthritis, users must be extra cautious in the products they consume if they are taking blood thinners at the same time. Some of the natural products that should be used with caution are:
- Devil’s Claw – Health Canada recommends those taking blood-thinners avoid taking large amounts of Devil’s Claw, one of the most popular natural anti-inflammatories on the market.
- Feverfew – Feverfew is an effective anti-inflammatory, but has been known to cause internal bleeding in those taking blood thinners.
- White willow bark – Those taking aspirin as a blood thinner should avoid taking white willow bark, which is the precursor to aspirin and can further thin the blood.
Fortunately, your local health food store has a variety of effective natural ingredients for joint pain that do not interact with blood thinners.
Joints-First liquid is formulated using only ingredients that do not interact with blood thinners offering a safe alternative for those who need. But as always, when you are taking medications and natural supplements together, make sure you proceed with caution and consult your health care professional first.
When taking Joints-First formulas, Glucosamine: also consider…
Omega-First Super-Strength Fish Oil works wonderfully with Joints-First. The high omega-3’s in Omega-First act as an powerful anti-inflammatory for both osteoarthritic and rheumatoid arthritis. See your Health First™ store for more details.
- Tapadinhas MJ, et al. Oral glucosamine in the management of arthritis: Report on a multi-centre open investigation in Portugal. Pharmatherapeutica 3, 157-168. 1982.
- Glucosamine Unum In Die Efficacy (GUIDE) trial, European Union
- Reginster JY, Deroisy R,Rovati LC, Lee RL, Lejeune E, Bruyere O, Giacovelli G, Henrotin Y, Dacre JE, Gossett C. Long-term effects of glucosamine sulphate on osteoarthrits pro gression: a randomised, placebo controlled clinical trial. Lancet 2001; 357 (9252): 251-6.