Raising healthy children is harder than ever before. With so many processed foods and fast food options, parents often wonder how they are going to keep their children healthy and growing in a developmentally appropriate pace. Each child is different, but all children need certain things in their lives in order to grow and develop well.
When you think about how well your child is growing and developing, nutrition automatically comes to mind. How can you ensure that your child is getting the right nutrients on a daily basis? The good news is that nutrition for kids sits on the same principles as nutrition for adults so re-learning a whole new set of rules is mostly unnecessary in order to fuel your child’s growth. Children of all ages should eat more of the nutrient-dense foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals. Nutrient dense foods include protein, fruits, vegetables and grains. It is a good idea to eliminate calories from sugary drinks, processed foods and other items that do nothing towards helping your child’s body run.
Even if your child has a healthy diet, it is a good idea to supplement their diet with a broad spectrum vitamin. Most children will not eat a completely balance diet on a daily basis. There will be days when your meal plan is deviated from, and in order to counteract those days, a well balanced supplement is a great idea.
Other supplements specifically formulated for children can help fill the gap – and they can also help children with other developmental needs, such as:
- Supports a developing body and mind
- Improves focus, concentration and mental acuity
- Assists with the development of eyes and nerves
- Strengthens immune system
- Supports intestinal health
- Promotes favourable gut flora
- Aids immune function
- Increases absorption of vitamins and minerals
- Supports formation of healthy bones
- Promotes healthy teeth and gums
- Assists with focus and concentration
- Balances pH levels
- Helps in the absorption and use of calcium and phosphorus
- Supports the development of bones and teeth
- Supports the immune system
- Assists kids get the Vitamin D they need over long dark, Canadian winters!
Having trouble getting your kids to take their vitamins?
Sometimes the challenge isn’t finding the right mix of nutritional supplements – it’s getting a child to take them! Here a few tips on making that routine easier:
- Crush a tablet into juice or food – but note that hot food is not appropriate for some heat-sensitive vitamins. Try to mix with Greek yogurt, a smoothie or a bowl of oatmeal.
- Pair taking a vitamin(s) with another favourite activity (eating dessert, watching TV, computer time). Taking a vitamin is a precursor (and condition) of the activity.
- Take your own vitamins or supplements at the same time as your child. Make it a family activity!
- If you have more than one child, make it a contest: the child who finishes first gets a reward, like an extra story at bedtime.
Good nutrition is essential as your child develops with a solid foundation for lifelong health.
Introducing Progressive for Kids
Looking for a complete line of supplements for your children? Progressive, known for their line of foundational health products for adults, also has a family just for kids! They include MultiVitamins, Complete Calcium, Ultimate Fish Oil, Perfect Probiotic and Sunshine Burst Vitamin D. Each formula has been designed for their unique needs, providing specific ratios of vitamins, minerals and botanical ingredients to support a growing body and developing mind.